Skip to main content
Federal Skilled Worker Program for Immigration

How to Use the Federal Skilled Worker Program for Immigration

By Blog No Comments

Prospective immigrants who wish to settle in Canada can choose from one of the many immigration options offered by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Each program varies based on its requirements. Some programs help immigrants settle in a particular province, while others offer permanent residence based on work experience or investment.

One of the most popular programs for Canada immigration is the Federal Skilled Worker Program. This guide will discuss the requirements for this program and the ways applicants can use it to obtain permanent resident status in Canada.

What is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

The Federal Skilled Worker Program was initially launched in 1967 and remained the most popular immigration program for prospective immigrants. This program is one of the three programs within Canada’s Express Entry system and offers a way to achieve permanent resident status based on experience and skills.

This program is best suited for individuals from highly skilled occupations classified under the National Occupation Code (NOC).

Federal Skilled Worker Program Requirements

The Federal Skilled Worker Program uses six selection factors to assess applicants. Each factor provides a certain number of points. Applicants will need 67 out of 100 points to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

The selection factors are:

  • Language Skills
  • Education
  • Work experience
  • Age
  • Job Offer
  • Adaptability

Let’s go through each factor and determine how you can maximize your points.

1. Language Skills

Applicants must possess good English or French language skills to receive an adequate number of points in their Federal Skilled Worker Program application. IRCC requires applicants to prove their language skills by taking an approved language test. For English, this test is the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) test. Applicants who are more fluent in French than English can take the Niveaux de comp├ętence linguistique canadiens (NCLC). Each of these tests is subdivided into four distinct sections:

  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Listening
  • Speaking

Applicants’ scores in each section will determine which benchmark they fall into according to the following table.

Speaking Listening Reading Writing
CLB Level 9 or higher 6 6 6 6
CLB Level 8 5 5 5 5
CLB Level 7 4 4 4 4
Lower than CLB level 7 Does not qualify Does not qualify Does not qualify Does not qualify

If English or French is your first language, you will need to score benchmark CLB Level 7 or higher to receive points. It is possible to get a score of up to 24 points on your language test. Applicants can also score up to an additional 4 points if their second language qualifies as CLB Level 5 or higher.

2. Education

The Federal Skilled Worker favours applicants with secondary or post-secondary education. This requires:

  • A certification, degree or diploma from a secondary or post-secondary education institution in Canada.
  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) issued by a foreign secondary or post-secondary education institution.

The number of points from each type of qualification is shown below:

  • Doctorate degree, Ph.D. or Professional Degree: 23 to 25 points
  • Master’s Degree: 23 points
  • Bachelor’s Degree: 19 to 23 points
  • Post-secondary certificate or Diploma: 15 to 21 points
  • Educational Certificates: 15 to 23 points
  • High School Diploma or Certificate: 5 points

Applicants can score up to 25 points in this category if they possess the right education.

3. Work Experience

Applicants can also use their work experience to earn points. Those who have worked full-time jobs (defined as 30 hours per week) in Canada or abroad can earn points if the job:

  • Belonged to the NOC skill level 0, A, or B
  • Was performed while studying.
  • Was performed while also self-employed.

The points granted for work experience are as follows:

Experience Points
1 year 9
2 to 3 years 11
4 to 5 years 13
6 or more years 15

4. Age

The Federal Skilled Worker class generally favours applicants who are younger in age. The number of points granted to each age is as follows.

Age Points
Under 18 0
18 – 35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
44 3
45 2
46 1
47 or older 0

5. Job Offer

Applicants can receive a maximum of 10 points if they have a full-time job offer for a one-year or longer position in duration. This work experience will need to be a full-time and non-seasonal position. It must also qualify under NOC skill level 0, A, or B.

In addition to this, applicants must demonstrate that they are qualified and capable of performing the job’s duties.

6. Adaptability

IRCC grants extra points to applicants who can demonstrate their eagerness to settle in Canada. You can get 5 points for each of the following requirements to earn a maximum of 10 additional points.

  • Having a spouse or partner with language skills of CLB level 4 or higher
  • Completing a minimum of two secondary or post-secondary academic programs inside Canada. Each program must be full-time.
  • Having a spouse or partner who has completed a minimum of two secondary or post-secondary academic programs inside Canada. Each program must be full-time
  • Having a minimum of 1-year work experience in a full-time position at NOC skill level 0, A, or B within Canada.
  • Having a spouse or partner who has a minimum of 1-year work experience in a full-time position at NOC skill level 0, A, or B within Canada.
  • Having arranged employment within Canada at the time of applying.
  • Having relatives who are citizens or permanent residents and are older than 18 residing inside Canada.

Optimizing Your Federal Skilled Worker Class Application

Prospective immigrants applying through the Federal Skilled Worker Program can optimize their application and discover ways to maximize their points with Elaar Immigration Consulting’s assistance. Together, we can make your dream of settling in Canada a reality. Please get in touch with Elaar Immigration Consulting to get started today.

Canada Student Visa

Canada Continues to Welcome International Students During COVID-19

By Blog, Canada Study Visa No Comments

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected numerous groups of people in different ways globally. However, one group that has been hit particularly hard by recent events are international students. It’s not uncommon for individuals to pursue higher education in foreign countries that possess high-ranking education institutions. However, many of these countries have halted or significantly downsized the number of international students they are willing to accept during the pandemic.

This has left many international students without access to higher education opportunities. However, Canada continues to welcome international students during the COVID-19 pandemic.

How the Pandemic Has Affected International Students in Australia

Prospective students who wished to pursue higher education in Australia in the last year were disappointed with the Australian government’s recent moves. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews recently announced that it would be challenging for international students to return to the country in 2021. This is due to the strict COVID-19 travel restrictions in Australia, which were implemented last year.

It is estimated that over 140,000 international students have been unable to enter Australia due to the restrictions. This move prompted many Australian education institutions to offer to implement their own quarantine policies. However, the government has yet to lift the travel restrictions and allow international students into the country. The COVID-19 pandemic has made the country’s situation very unpredictable, and it is unknown when their travel restrictions will be eased. For this reason, prospective international students should consider pursuing higher education in other countries.

Why Canada Is Continuing to Welcome International Students

While Australia’s response to the pandemic can seem extreme, it was put in place to eliminate community transmission of COVID-19. The country is now faring better than the United States in terms of COVID-19 infections and deaths.

Canada has also been able to slow the spread of the virus using its own lockdown measures. However, the country implemented its lockdown measures without turning away international students. This means students who were already studying in Canada can continue doing so as long as they follow appropriate COVID-19 measures introduced by the government.

New or returning international students must present a valid study permit and proof that they are attending a designated learning institution with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by the province. They must then complete a 14-day quarantine before attending any classes.

The measures mentioned above are far less extreme than Australia’s restriction on international students. This makes Canada an excellent choice for higher education during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Canadian government understands that international students benefit the country by filling critical job vacancies, with many students becoming business founders and job creators. For this reason, they have prioritized the well-being of international students and continue to welcome them into the country.

How IRCC Is Helping International Students During the Pandemic

International students in Canada that have recently graduated from their program can also receive assistance from Immigration, Refugees, and Canada Citizenship (IRCC) during the pandemic. The IRCC typically issues post-graduate work permits for international students following their graduation. These work permits allow students to work in the country and obtain the 12-months of full-time work experience needed to qualify for permanent resident status under the Canadian Experience Class immigration program.

IRCC observed that many ex-international students struggled to find jobs or maintain their current employment during the pandemic. This led to many failing to obtain the required work experience before their work permit expired. As a pandemic measure, they have introduced a special open work permit for students with expired post-graduate work permits or work permits expiring soon.

This allows ex-international students to continue working in Canada and follow a path towards permanent residence.

How to Start Studying in Canada

Prospective international students who wish to start studying in Canada and those who want to continue working in the country after graduation should get in touch with Elaar immigration consulting. We offer special services to help students obtain their Canada student visa and guide them throughout the application process.

Close Menu