Skip to main content

In family sponsorship program, an individual could bring his/her family members with them to Canada if these family members were processed for permanent residence as that individuals dependent. It comprises:

  • Spouse or common-law partner
  • Spouse or common-law partner’s dependent child
  • Dependent child
  • A dependent child of a dependent child

You may be able to sponsor specific relatives for Canada immigration under the Family class. The eligibility criteria for this says that the person sponsoring should be at least 18 years old, and he/she should be:

  • Canadian citizen; or
  • Permanent resident of Canada; or
  • An individual registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

If you are sponsoring your relative as a permanent resident under Canada immigration, you must:

  • Monetarily support your relative once they land in Canada
  • Should meet the basic requirements for yourself and your relatives, such as:
    1. Food
    2. Shelter
    3. Clothing
  • Make sure your relatives do not need social assistance


An individual must reside in Canada for sponsoring his/her relatives unless he/she:

  • Is a citizen of Canada who lives abroad
  • Has planned of returning to Canada when their relative migrate
  • Is sponsoring:
  • Spouse; or
    1. Dependent children who have no dependent children; or
    2. Conjugal partner or common-law partner

If an individual is residing in Quebec, he/she has to fulfill Quebec’s conditions for being a sponsor after the Government approves you as a sponsor. It comprises of signing an ‘’undertaking’’ with the province. This contract binds your sponsorship.


When an individual is sponsoring your relative for being a permanent resident of Canada, he/she should –

  • Agree in writing to give monetary support to your individual and any other eligible relatives accompanying them:
    • Beginning on the day, they become a permanent resident
    • For up to 20 years (depending on how you are related and their age)
  • Meet set income guidelines

An agreement must be signed by the individual to whom you are sponsoring. The agreement focuses on the individuals making an effort for themselves. The agreement comprises sponsored dependent children who are 18 or older. Dependent children who are below 19 do not have to sign the agreement.


An individual may not be able to sponsor a relative if:

  • He/she is in prison
  • Have failed to pay your alimony or child support payments
  • Have declared bankruptcy and is still involved in the same
  • Got social help except for those who are disabled
  • Failed to pay immigration bank loans, missed payments or made late payments.
  • Sponsored another relative in the past
  • Did not qualify the terms of the sponsorship agreement
  • Convicted of a violent crime, any offence against a relative or any sexual assault, depending on details of the case, such as:
    • The type of offence
    • How long ago it was
    • Whether a record suspension was issued (also known as ‘’pardons’’ in Canada)

If all this sounds too confusing, you can reach out to the licensed Canada immigration consultants at Elaar Immigration to discuss your unique situation and eligibility.

Leave a Reply