Prospective applicants who intend to apply for immigration through a BC Provincial Nominee Program should thoroughly understand the BC PNP requirements. Each program has distinct requirements, so prospective candidates must ensure they meet them before applying.
1. Intention to Live in BC
Applicants must intend to reside, work, and settle in British Columbia. This evidence could include the following:
- the length of any prior and/or ongoing residence in British Columbia;
- work, education, or familial ties to British Columbia; and/or
- a list of any steps done to settle in British Columbia, such as getting a job or a place to live.
2. Provide Economic Benefits to BC
The applicant’s presence in British Columbia must economically benefit the province. They can meet this requirement if they:
- help maintain or create jobs for Canadians
- transfer their skills and knowledge to Canadians
- support new product development
- contribute to the workforce for a significant project
3. Valid Immigration Status in Canada
The BC PNP will not nominate a candidate if:
- the candidate is living in Canada out of status.
- illegally working in Canada
- have an unresolved refugee claim in Canada
- is under a removal order in or outside of Canada or requires Authorization to return to Canada.
4. Language Requirements
Applicants must possess a minimum language proficiency score of CLB 4 on a recognized language test if their job offer is for an occupation that falls under NOC TEER 2, 3, 4 or 5. No language proficiency requirement exists for applicants whose job offer is for an occupation under NOC TEER 0 or 1.
Additional requirements apply to all BC PNP Skills Immigration categories that require a job offer:
5. Signed Job Offer Letter
Most BC PNP Skills Immigration and EEBC categories require to submit of a signed job offer letter
from an eligible B.C. employer.
- your occupation must be eligible under the category you selected.
- the job offer must be full-time employment (30 hours per week, year-round).
- the job offer needs to be signed and dated by a BC Employer or a person who is authorized to hire employees in the company.
- the offer letter must be signed and dated by the candidate confirming the acceptance of the job offer.
- the candidate must be appointed on a continuous basis.
6. Income Requirements
Applicants must earn a minimum annual income of $26,426 CAD if their job is in Metro Vancouver Regional District. This requirement is $22,024 CAD if their job is in other parts of British Columbia.
Applicants must be offered a wage rate that is comparable to the wages paid to Canadian citizens and permanent residents with similar education, experience, and training.
The applicant must be qualified to perform the duties for the occupation their job offer is in.
If the offered employment requires obligatory certification, licensing, or registration, you must submit proof to the BC PNP at the time of application. You will have to demonstrate that you fulfill these requirements, or that you will achieve them soon.
9. Employer Requirements
A candidate needs the support of an eligible employer to come to Canada through the BC Provincial Nominee Program’s Skills Immigration and Express Entry BC streams. Your employer will have to meet specific requirements to be able to maintain your application.
Check all BC PNP Employer Requirements here.