To be eligible for this program, applicants must have relevant experience and the intention and ability to be self-employed and to make a significant contribution to specific economic activities in Canada.
- Relevant Experience:
- Applicants must have at least two years’ experience within five years in one of the following areas:
- Cultural Activities
- Purchase and management of a farm
- Experience is applicable only if the applicants have participated in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or been self-employed in cultural activities or athletics or have experience managing a farm.
- Intention and Ability
- Applicants must show the intention and ability to establish a business that will create self-employment for them as well as make a significant contribution to the Canadian economy.
Applicants are assessed through a point system and must obtain at least 35 points out of 100 on:
- Age: Up to 10 points.
- Education: Up to 25 points for formal education.
- Language Skills: Up to 24 points (16-first official language, 8-second official language).
- Business Experience: Up to 35 points for 5 years of relevant experience.
- Adaptability: Up 6 points for a number of factors to show that the candidate is adaptable to successfully settle in Canada.
- Settlement Funds: Applicants must show that they have sufficient funds to support themselves and their families for at least one year after arriving in Canada.