PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS
This program is now based on an “interest to sponsor” web-form submission where sponsors complete a request to bring loved ones to Canada. From these submissions, draws are made and invitations are issued to eligible sponsored immigrants. Once the invitation to submit an application is received, the sponsor has 60 days to submit a complete application. The materials required are extensive, so it’s advisable to prepare the documents before the invitation is received. We can help you get everything together.
Requirements for the sponsor are:
- The sponsor and their relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits the sponsor to provide financial support to their relative, if necessary and must meet the minimum income threshold for this program, which we can explain. If sponsoring a person coming to the Province of Quebec, an “undertaking” with the Province must be signed.
- The sponsor must also be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident age 18 or older, sign an undertaking to repay an provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family members for a period of 20 years and if the sponsor resides in Quebec, they must also sign another “undertaking” for that province.
- The sponsor must exceed the minimum income level for the program (which can be combined income if married or common-law) and promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of 20 years. The time period begins the day the parent or grandparent becomes a permanent resident.
Requirements for the sponsored person (parent or grandparent) are simply that they much be the parent(s) or grandparent(s) of the sponsor:
Not everyone will fit into the requirements for the parent and grandparent Family Class Sponsorship, so the government of Canada has created the Super Visa which is a two year visa for parents and grandparents to come as visitors to Canada for an extended period of time. It’s ideal when residents of Canada want to be together with their family for longer periods of time like when a new baby is born, they are travelling and need help at home or simply want to spend more time with their parents and/or grandparents.
With the Super Visa, parents and grandparents are able to move freely throughout Canada for up to two years. Unlike a traditional visitor visa, the Super Visa is valid for up to 10 years or the validity of the passport. The first visit on the Super Visa can be for up to two years and subsequent visits will be limited to 12 months.
Requirements for the sponsor of a parent or grandparent Super Visa are:
- The sponsor must be the child or grandchild of the sponsored person; must provide a written commitment of financial support; and must meet the minimum income threshold for this program.
Requirements for the sponsored person (parent or grandparent) are:
- The sponsored person must be the parent or grandparent of the sponsor; must be admissible to Canada as a visitor; must prove that he or she has bought Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year; and must undergo an Immigration Medical Examination.