Explore Your Options for Immigration to Canada Through Federal Skilled Trades Program

The Federal Skilled Trades (FST) program is for individuals who want to apply for permanent residency based on their qualifications in a skilled trade. The minimum requirements to qualify under this program are as follows:


Work Experience:

  • An applicant must have a minimum of 2 years full-time, or the equivalent in part-time work (3,120 hours), in a skilled trade within 5 years of submitting an application.
  • Applicant must have performed both the actions described in the lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties listed in the NOC description of the occupation.

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program fall into the following general categories of the NOC:

  • Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades.
  • Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades.
  • Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production.
  • Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.
  • Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks.
  • Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.

Applicants must have an offer of employment in Canada:

  • Must be for at least one year of full-time work.
  • Must be skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) in one of the eligible occupations.
  • Must have wages and working conditions comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the occupation.
  • Can be made by up to two employers.



  • A Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body. To get a certificate, the provincial or territorial trades authority must assess your training, trade experience and skills to decide if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified.

Education Requirements:

  • While there is no education requirement under FST, to earn points for education under Express Entry, applicants either need a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree OR a completed foreign credential with an educational credential assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by IRCC.
  • The ECA must be less than five years old on the date of application.

Language Requirements:

  • Applicants must meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of at least level 5 in Listening and Speaking and level 4 in Reading and Writing.
  • Language test results must not be more than two years old at the time of application.
  • Language proficiency tests can be taken in one of Canada’s two official languages: English and French and must be from a designated institution approved by IRCC.

You must be admissible to Canada