Skip to main content

The Canadian government has amended the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) to enable master’s degree holders—even those with less than two years—to be eligible for a three-year PGWP.

However, students participating in programs covered by a Curriculum Licensing Agreement will no longer be qualified for PGWP as of September 1, 2024. Furthermore, until August 31, 2024, special measures for PGWP validity and remote learning have been extended.

As of February 15, 2024, all master’s degree students, including those with a degree less than 2 years (minimum 8 months), are now eligible to get a 3-year post-graduate work permit in Canada.

What is PGWP and its Eligibility Criteria?

An open work permit given to international students who completed their studies in Canada is known as a post-graduation work permit. PGWP holders can work as many hours as they choose for any company, anywhere in Canada.

If you have finished your studies at a designated learning institution (DLI), you can be qualified for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) if you are interested in working and living temporarily in Canada. A Canadian province or territory has authorized DLI as a school to accept international students.

General PGWP Eligibility Requirements

  • If you have finished a graduate program at a Designated Learning Institute (DLI) and fulfilled specific program requirements, you can apply for PGWP.
  • Your program must be a full-time course during each semester of your study program.

Open Work Permit for Spouse of PGWP Holder Requirements


  • You may be eligible if you studied part-time during your final semester.
  • If you have sufficient ground and approval letter of leave from your studies.
  • If you stopped studying or transferred your full-time to part-time study between March 2020 and the fall semester in 2020 for COVID-19.
  • If you possess a study permit that has been valid within the last 180 days.
  • You must demonstrate a valid visitor record.
  • You must demonstrate your submission of an application for an extension of your study permit before your study permit expires.

Who is Not Eligible for a PGWP?

You are not eligible for a post-graduation work permit if:

  • Your study permit expired more than 180 days before you have applied.
  • You have already received a PGWP.
  • You completed your study with English or French as a second language.
  • You have participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program or received funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
  • You have received the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile.
  • You have participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • You have finished most of your study through distance learning.
  • You have finished your study from a non-Canadian institution in Canada.

How to Apply for a PGWP?

You can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada or from outside the country if you are eligible. While applying for PGWP, you must attest with proof that you have attended full-time and finished your program. You need to confirm by submitting the following documents:

  • A copy of your degree or diploma.
  • A confirmation letter from your institute or a transcript.
  • If your study permit in Canada expires before your result, you can apply for a visitor record to stay till you get your marks, or you may leave the country and apply for your PGWP.


  • You need to ensure that your passport is valid for the entire duration of your work permit. If your passport expires before PGWP, the government will issue a PGWP that is only valid till the date of expiration. The IRCC has the sole discretion to extend your PGWP and they will inform you if you need to extend it.

Trending Stories

Express Entry Latest Draw April 2024
Express Entry Draw

Canada Express Entry Latest Draw April 10, 2024

On April 10, 2024, Express Entry issued 1,280 invitations to candidates with a minimum CRS…
Canada PR for International Students
Best Ways to Get PR in Canada for International Students
Canada Changes to Permanent Residence Fees
Canada’s Permanent Residency (PR) Fees Risen By 12%
PGWP Extension 18 Months
PGWP Extension: Options for Expiring Work Permit
How to Get Job Offer from Canada in India
7 Tips to Get a Job Offer from Canada in India

Leave a Reply