Eligibility Requirements for Ontario’s OINP PhD Graduate
Who Can Apply?
- Candidates must complete PhD programs from eligible universities.
- Legal resident of Ontario.
- Intent to live in Ontario.
The stream falls under the Expression of Interest (EOI. You must receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) to apply for the provincial nomination.
- Education: You must complete at least two years of a PhD program from an eligible Ontario University. Please refer to the “List of Eligible Ontario Universities” for more information.
- Language Proficiency: There is no minimum eligibility based on language criteria.
- Residency: You must be a legal resident of Ontario for at least one year. If there are any gaps in residency, all periods of living will be added to make up one year within the past two years before you apply.
Settlement Fund: You must have sufficient settlement funds to support yourself and your dependents. This can be demonstrated through:
- Your savings account statements
- Non-locked-in investments
- Fixed-term deposits
- Mutual funds
- Annual earning statement
- Job offer with sufficient annual salary
Intent to Stay in Ontario: You must establish a solid intention to settle permanently in the province. This can be showcased by:
- Having a job offer
- Long-term volunteering work
- Leasing or owning a property
- Professional network
- Family ties
- Networking and personal relationships with people living in Ontario
Application Process for OINP PhD Graduate Stream
The OINP PhD Graduate Stream functions under the OINP Expression of Interest system.
- Stage 1: Submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) through OINP’s e-filing portal with all relevant and accurate information.
- Stage 2: Profiles are ranked according to a point-based system. The highest-ranking candidates will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) in the draw.
- Stage 3: If you receive an ITA, you have 14 days to apply for nomination.
- Stage 4: OINP will evaluate your application. If approved, they will issue a provincial nomination certificate.
- Stage 5: After receiving your provincial nomination, submit a federal application for Canadian permanent residence.
List of Eligible Ontario Universities
To qualify for the OINP PhD Graduate stream, your PhD degree must be from one of the following universities:
|Dominican University College
|Royal Military College of Canada
|Saint Paul University (Federated with the University of Ottawa)
|St. Jerome’s University (Federated with the University of Waterloo)
|University of Guelph
|University of Ontario Institute of Technology
|University of Ottawa
|University of St. Michael’s College (Federated with the University of Toronto)
|University of Toronto
|University of Trinity College (Federated with the University of Toronto)
|University of Waterloo
|University of Windsor
|Victoria University (Federated with the University of Toronto)
|Wilfrid Laurier University