Skip to main content

PGWP Canada: Post-Graduate Work Permit

Work after studying in Canada as a post-graduate international student with the PGWP Post-Graduate Work Permit. Start your process today.

Start a Free Assessment


Thousands of international students come to Canada to study at its colleges and universities each year. Many of these students are eligible for a post-graduate work permit once they complete their studies. PGWP is an effort to retain students by allowing them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry.

Once the study program is complete (and the written notification of eligibility for a degree, diploma, or certificate is proven), the student has 180 days to apply for a post-graduate work permit. This guide will describe what a post-graduate permit is, who is eligible for one, and how to apply for it.

What is a Post-Graduate Work Permit?

A post-graduate work permit (PGWP) is a temporary work permit that allows international graduates to work in Canada. This permit is typically valid for anywhere from 8 to 36 months. It is issued after the individual has completed a qualifying educational program at a Canadian college or university.

Who is eligible to apply for a PGWP?

Individuals can apply for a PGWP Canada if they meet the following requirements:

PGWP from Inside Canada

  •  The applicant is applying within 180 days of completing their education program.
  • The applicant has earned a degree, certificate, or diploma from a designated learning institution after completing a program that is a minimum of 8 months in length.
  • The applicant has maintained their full-time student status throughout their studies in Canada.

PGWP from Outside Canada

  • The applicant has been approved for a study permit.
  • The applicant has earned a degree, certificate, or diploma from a designated learning institution after completing a program that is a minimum of eight months in length.
  • The applicant has maintained their full-time student status throughout their studies.

Who cannot apply for a PGWP?

Individuals cannot apply for a post-graduate work permit if:

  • It has been more than 180 calendar days since their study permit expired.
  • They were already issued a PGWP in the past.
  • Have studied French or English as a second language.
  • Studied in self-improvement or general interest programs
  • Completed their studies at a non-Canadian education institution in Canada

Latest Canada Immigration News and Updates

Get instant access to our latest posts and Canadian immigration updates.

Steps to Apply for PGWP Canada

The application process for a Post-Graduate Study Permit is summarized below:

1. Fill out a Post-Graduate Work Permit Application

Graduates must first fill out their Post-Graduate Work Permit application online. While applying for the PGWP, minor mistakes can lead to application rejection. To avoid any issues in your process get in touch with our expert RCICs.

2. Pay the Application Fee

While applying for PGWP online, the applicants are asked to pay a $255 CAD fee. In case your study permit expires before you apply then you may have to pay $350 CAD extra to restore your status as a student.

Note: In case you fail to apply for PGWP within 90 days after your study permit expires, you will have to leave Canada.

3. Gather the Required Documents

Next, graduates must gather the documents required with their application. This includes proof that they have completed their studies. This proof can be provided using one of the documents listed below:

  • Degree or diploma
  • Official letter from the education institution
  • Official transcripts or copies of transcripts taken from the education institution’s website

4. Submit the Application

Graduates must then submit their applications online. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may ask the applicant to submit additional documents following this step.

Successful applicants inside Canada will be issued their Post-Graduate Work Permit. Successful applicants outside Canada will be issued their PGWP and a new visitor visa that allows them to enter the country.

How ELAAR can help you?

Prospective international students who are interested in acquiring a work permit after studying in Canada should contact us. Our exceptional team of Regulated Immigration Consultants understands the requirements and application process for PGWP visa Canada and can guide you through this process.

Frequently Asked Question: FAQs

These are some frequently asked questions about the post-graduate work permit for international students.

Is it necessary to have a job offer to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit?

Yes. Many international students use the Post-Graduate Work Permit to gain work experience in Canada after graduating. They then use this work experience to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class program.

Can I get a post-graduate work permit after studying in Canada for one year?

You may be eligible for a work permit after 1-year study in Canada if the program is from a designated learning institution.

Start your PGWP Application with ELAAR

Done with your studies in Canada? Apply for PGWP Post-Graduate Work Permit with ELAAR. Start your free assessment today.

Check Eligibility

Free Assessment

Let's Talk

Contact us
Close Menu