International students can help stretch their budgets and make their education possible by working during and after their study period. There are five different types of work permits that related to a study permit. Each has its own distinct rules and requirements and we can help you determine which is right for you and/or your family (as is the case with the dependent work permit). This work option helps students gain valuable work experience in Canada which may be beneficial later.

This is often the case for students who come to Canada and want to experience all that the country has to offer. By taking advantage of both work and study opportunities, it’s easier to get a feel for the country and from this experience many international students have decided to apply for permanent resident status and make Canada their home.

Work while studying and after studying includes various options;

  • The On-Campus option allows you work on your school’s campus for up to 20 hours a week. You will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number. You must be registered as a full-time post-secondary school student and the on-campus work must be for an employer located on the campus grounds such as the school, a faculty member, student organization or a private business on campus. You may work as many hours as you like as many jobs as you want on-campus. There are no limits.
  • The Off-Campus choice allows for part-time work (20 hours a week) off campus during school semesters and full-time (anything over 30 hours a week) between semesters. To work off-campus, you must be studying full-time at a designated learning institution, hold a valid study permit, remain in satisfactory academic standing, be studying in a program of at least six months that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.

If any of the above requirements change, the student must stop working off-campus. There are other situations where students are not eligible to work off-campus, such as those in English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. If you wish to work off-campus while studying in Canada, we can help you understand the choice available and how they apply to your unique needs.

  • A Co-op/Internship option allows work only as an intern or co-op student as part of the course curriculum. These students require mandatory work placement or internship as part of their program and must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to their study permit.
  • Post-Graduate Work Permits allow for full-time work for the same duration (to a maximum of three years) as the degree or diploma program you completed once you have graduated. This work may help towards an application for permanent residency.

This program is an effort to retain students by allowing them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry. This delivers that Canadian work and live experience and often sees post-graduate students apply for permanent residence of later Canadian citizenship. Once the study program is complete (and the written notification of eligibility for degree, diploma or certificate is proven), the student has 180 days to apply for a work permit.

Not sure which option applies to you? Ask use for help and we can make your dreams of studying in Canada come true.