Qualifying applicants are required to hold a letter of support from a valid designated organization. There are three types of designated organizations with different minimum investment requirements that qualify under this program. These are:
Venture Capital funds
The minimum investment requirement for Venture Capital Funds is $200,000 CAD. Some Venture Capital Funds recognized as designated organizations include:
- 7 Gate Ventures
- BCF Ventures
- Celtic House Venture Partners
- First Fund
- iNovia Capital Inc.
- Lumira Ventures
- PRIVEQ Capital Funds
- Red Leaf Capital Corp
- ScaleUp Venture Partners, Inc.
- Vanedge Capital Limited Partnership
- Yaletown Venture Partners Inc.
Angel Investor Groups
The minimum investment requirement for Angel Investor Groups is $75,000 CAD. Some Angel Investor Groups recognized as designated organizations include:
- Canadian International Angel Investors
- TenX Angel Investors Inc.
- Golden Triangle Angel Network
- Ekagrata Inc.
- Southeastern Ontario Angel Network
- York Angel Investors Inc.
- Oak Mason Investments Inc.
- VANTEC Angel Network Inc.
- Keiretsu Forum Canada
There is no minimum investment requirement for Business Incubators. Some Business Incubators recognized as designated organizations include:
- Alacrity Foundation
- Brilliant Catalyst
- DMZ Ventures
- Extreme Innovations
- Highline BETA Inc.
- Innovation Cluster – Peterborough and the Kawarthas
- Interactive Niagara Media Cluster o/a Innovate Niagara
- Knowledge Park o/a Planet Hatch
- Launch Academy – Vancouver
- Millworks Centre for Entrepreneurship
- North Forge East Ltd.
- Pacific Technology Ventures
- Pycap Inc (o/a Pycap Venture Partners)
- Spark Commercialization and Innovation Centre
- The DMZ at Ryerson University
- TSRV Canada Inc. (operating as Techstars Canada)
- York Entrepreneurship Development Institute
Each of the designated organizations mentioned above has its own intake process. Prospective startup entrepreneurs should design and tailor their business proposal with each organization in mind. Some organizations may ask for more comprehensive proposals than others, so candidates should prepare accordingly.
If a designated organization chooses to support an entrepreneur’s business idea, they will issue them a letter of support.