It’s a big decision to come to Canada to study. For many students, it’s the first time they have been away from their home country. It can be challenging to determine the best options, that’s why we work with Canadian post-secondary schools and prospective international students to understand their needs and differences to present various options to students through our international team.

Our breadth of involvement with colleges and universities on the national stage positions us as a leading education immigration firm designed to work with leading private and public post-secondary institutions from a consulting standpoint. Here we are able to provide the complete suite of services needed from exploring admission application into the right program, in the right school and the right location and following the important acceptance letter through to a study permit.

Students have a lot of considerations when coming to study in Canada, and as is the case with all of our clients, our educational consulting works to make the process easier for both the educational institution as well as the student.

Because we live and work in Canada, we know the distinctions between colleges and universities in Canada and can help students make the right choice for which school is the right fit. Most importantly, once that student has had a taste of Canadian life and has completed their studies, our team of regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants can help these graduates become permanent residents of Canada and in time obtain Canadian citizenship. One of our employees has made this journey from international student to Canadian citizen and is able to walk both schools and students through the processes.

If you have questions about studying in Canada, contact us for more information.


With some of the most enviable educational institutions in the world and diverse topics of study across the country, Canada has become a destination for international studies. From 90-year-old UBC (University of British Columbia) to the First World War-honouring Memorial University of Newfoundland and other top schools like University of Toronto, McGill University and McMaster University, there are plenty of options to choose from.

Canada is the ideal study location for international students. This is because education costs, when compared to other options in North America are generally lower yet the level of education is often at a higher calibre. International students are loving their Canadian experience:

  • According to a 2017 survey by ICEF Monitor (an organization that measures international education), more than 90% of international students were satisfied or highly satisfied with their studies in Canada.
  • Most students surveyed chose the country because of the quality of its education system and the reputation Canada has as a safe and welcoming country.
  • Six in ten students plan to pursue permanent residency in the country after their studies.

Given the large number of international students in Canada, it’s easier for a new international student to find someone to help them with the big transition to a new campus, in a new community, in Canada. Also because Canada student visas are relatively easy to arrange for the majority of students, taking advantage of the Canadian experience is made easier and most international students have found living in Canada to be a positive, life-changing experience.

Additional benefits for international students also include the ability to work while studying in the country and to apply for permanent residence and Canadian citizenship in time. In fact, many of Canada’s immigrants came to the country as students and chose to stay because of the positive life they established.

Before deciding to come, be sure to consider what living in Canada will be like. For many students, it is the first time away from home and the culture shock can be dramatic. Not only is Canadian culture different (although friendly) the climate is also different. We can help point you to specific resources to ensure you studying application is ready and that you are ready too – whether that means understanding what clothes to pack and buy, what you can do in your spare time, securing a place to live or understanding the communication systems so that you can reach out to those at home when you need to.


Congratulations on choosing Canada as a place to study! You’re among others who have recognized the benefits of studying here. In fact, a 2017 survey of international students by ICEF Monitor (an organization that measures international education), the tops three reasons students chose to study in the country are:

  • The reputation of Canada’s education system (82% said this was “essential” or “very important” to their decision)
  • Canada’s generally tolerant and non-discriminatory society (79%)
  • Canada’s reputation as a safe country (78%)

Starting your study experience in Canada will begin with research into the educational institution you wish to attend. With the broad mix of opportunities, you’ll want to determine which school offers the program you want, in the region you want. Once you’ve figured out your top choice, and determined that they are accepting international students (most do), it’s time to send off your request for acceptance and see if you are selected.

The 2017 ICEF survey also found that 95% of students felt they are achieving success in meeting the demands of their academic program. This may mean that international students are having positive results in choosing the right programs for their interests and skills.

The next requirement to studying in Canada is obtaining a study permit, although other documents like Temporary Resident Visas may also be required. To apply for a study permit you will need your letter of acceptance from a designated Canadian educational institution, have a criminal and background record check as well as a medical exam and proof of funds to cover tuition, living expenses and return transportation. Additionally you must prove that you will leave Canada (or apply for a post-graduate work permit) after the study permit expires.

Be sure to apply for your study permit as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance as processing times aren’t guaranteed. You will receive your study permit when you present your TRV or eTA upon arriving in Canada.

In order to stay in Canada as a student, certain conditions must be met. You must:

  • Always be enrolled in a designated learning institution.
  • Make progress towards completing your program.
  • Respect any conditions listed on your study permit/ stop studies if you no longer meet the requirement.
  • Leave Canada when your permit expires.

Conditions on your study permit can include the level of studies you may attend, eligibility to work in Canada, travel restrictions and the date you must stop studying.

Your study permit is not your admission into Canada, you are also likely to need a temporary resident visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) which will be issued as part of the study permit application.

Generally, your study permit is good for the length of your studies plus 90 days to prepare to leave Canada or arrange to extend your stay.


While the majority of students coming to Canada to study will require a study permit, there are a few cases when an international student may be exempt. It’s an option for those looking for short-term programs, minor children as well as certain other individuals.

If you are looking at a program from a post-secondary institution in Canada that is less than six months in length, you do not need a study permit. You will need a Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization. Additionally, those who are family members or private staff of diplomats do not require a study permit, nor do members of foreign armed forces from certain countries.

Minor children who will be attending pre-school, primary or secondary school in Canada do not need a study permit when they are the children of temporary students or workers, Canadian citizens or permanent residents.

You may still want to apply for a study permit even if it isn’t a requirement. Why? Because you will be able to keep studying and renew your study permit while you are in Canada or because you are in Canada but can’t start your program without the permit.

Talk to us to determine if you need a study permit or not and we can help with all the application details.


International students can help stretch their budgets and make their education possible by working during and after their study period. There are five different types of work permits that related to a study permit. Each has its own distinct rules and requirements and we can help you determine which is right for you and/or your family (as is the case with the dependent work permit). This work option helps students gain valuable work experience in Canada which may be beneficial later.

This is often the case for students who come to Canada and want to experience all that the country has to offer. By taking advantage of both work and study opportunities, it’s easier to get a feel for the country and from this experience many international students have decided to apply for permanent resident status and make Canada their home.

Work while studying and after studying includes various options;

  • The On-Campus option allows you work on your school’s campus for up to 20 hours a week. You will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number. You must be registered as a full-time post-secondary school student and the on-campus work must be for an employer located on the campus grounds such as the school, a faculty member, student organization or a private business on campus. You may work as many hours as you like as many jobs as you want on-campus. There are no limits.
  • The Off-Campus choice allows for part-time work (20 hours a week) off campus during school semesters and full-time (anything over 30 hours a week) between semesters. To work off-campus, you must be studying full-time at a designated learning institution, hold a valid study permit, remain in satisfactory academic standing, be studying in a program of at least six months that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate.

If any of the above requirements change, the student must stop working off-campus. There are other situations where students are not eligible to work off-campus, such as those in English as a Second Language (ESL) programs. If you wish to work off-campus while studying in Canada, we can help you understand the choice available and how they apply to your unique needs.

  • A Co-op/Internship option allows work only as an intern or co-op student as part of the course curriculum. These students require mandatory work placement or internship as part of their program and must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to their study permit.
  • Post-Graduate Work Permits allow for full-time work for the same duration (to a maximum of three years) as the degree or diploma program you completed once you have graduated. This work may help towards an application for permanent residency.

This program is an effort to retain students by allowing them to work for any Canadian employer in any industry. This delivers that Canadian work and live experience and often sees post-graduate students apply for permanent residence of later Canadian citizenship. Once the study program is complete (and the written notification of eligibility for degree, diploma or certificate is proven), the student has 180 days to apply for a work permit.

  • The dependent Work Permit allows a spouse to receive an open work permit if they accompany you during your studies.
  • Student Pathways to Permanent Residence allows students to stay in the country and contribute to their own experiences as well as to the benefit of the country. This generally begins with the Post-Graduate Work Permit before applying for permanent residence status. Many former international students have made use of programs like Canadian Experience Class, Quebec Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Programs in order to fast track their eligibility as a permanent resident.

Not sure which option applies to you? Ask use for help and we can make your dreams of studying in Canada come true.


Another option for students to study in Canada is via the Student Direct Stream. This program is available to legal residents of China, India, the Philippines and Vietnam and will allow for faster study permits. It is important to note that to be eligible for the Student Direct Stream prospective students must be citizens of these countries and reside there. If the prospective student doesn’t reside in one of these countries – even if they are a citizen – they will need to apply through the standard study permit process.

Just like with the other study programs, the first step in the Student Direct Stream is to determine the right school for your education and location needs. Once you have a letter of acceptance for the institution you can prepare your application with medical exam confirmation, guaranteed funds, proof of tuition fees and proof of graduation from a Canadian high school or a language test to prove language capabilities in either English and/or French.

For your application, you will need a copy of your acceptance letter from your preferred school, a copy of your medical exam confirmation, proof of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate of $10,000, proof of payment of your first year’s tuition, proof of graduation from a Canadian curriculum high school or a language test result of at least 6 for English or at least 7 for French.

Be sure that your application is complete to speed to process along. If anything within your application does not fit the Student Direct Stream process, your application will still be reviewed, but under a regular study permit process without the accelerated processing times.

If approved, you will receive a letter of introduction to show the immigration officer upon arrival in Canada. You will also need to show your visitor visa.