Skip to main content

federal skilled worker program Archives - Elaar Immigration Consulting Inc

Federal Skilled Worker Program for Immigration

How to Use the Federal Skilled Worker Program for Immigration

By Blog No Comments

Prospective immigrants who wish to settle in Canada can choose from one of the many immigration options offered by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Each program varies based on its requirements. Some programs help immigrants settle in a particular province, while others offer permanent residence based on work experience or investment.

One of the most popular programs for Canada immigration is the Federal Skilled Worker Program. This guide will discuss the requirements for this program and the ways applicants can use it to obtain permanent resident status in Canada.

What is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

The Federal Skilled Worker Program was initially launched in 1967 and remained the most popular immigration program for prospective immigrants. This program is one of the three programs within Canada’s Express Entry system and offers a way to achieve permanent resident status based on experience and skills.

This program is best suited for individuals from highly skilled occupations classified under the National Occupation Code (NOC).

Federal Skilled Worker Program Requirements

The Federal Skilled Worker Program uses six selection factors to assess applicants. Each factor provides a certain number of points. Applicants will need 67 out of 100 points to qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

The selection factors are:

  • Language Skills
  • Education
  • Work experience
  • Age
  • Job Offer
  • Adaptability

Let’s go through each factor and determine how you can maximize your points.

1. Language Skills

Applicants must possess good English or French language skills to receive an adequate number of points in their Federal Skilled Worker Program application. IRCC requires applicants to prove their language skills by taking an approved language test. For English, this test is the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) test. Applicants who are more fluent in French than English can take the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC). Each of these tests is subdivided into four distinct sections:

  • Writing
  • Reading
  • Listening
  • Speaking

Applicants’ scores in each section will determine which benchmark they fall into according to the following table.

Speaking Listening Reading Writing
CLB Level 9 or higher 6 6 6 6
CLB Level 8 5 5 5 5
CLB Level 7 4 4 4 4
Lower than CLB level 7 Does not qualify Does not qualify Does not qualify Does not qualify

If English or French is your first language, you will need to score benchmark CLB Level 7 or higher to receive points. It is possible to get a score of up to 24 points on your language test. Applicants can also score up to an additional 4 points if their second language qualifies as CLB Level 5 or higher.

2. Education

The Federal Skilled Worker favours applicants with secondary or post-secondary education. This requires:

  • A certification, degree or diploma from a secondary or post-secondary education institution in Canada.
  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) issued by a foreign secondary or post-secondary education institution.

The number of points from each type of qualification is shown below:

  • Doctorate degree, Ph.D. or Professional Degree: 23 to 25 points
  • Master’s Degree: 23 points
  • Bachelor’s Degree: 19 to 23 points
  • Post-secondary certificate or Diploma: 15 to 21 points
  • Educational Certificates: 15 to 23 points
  • High School Diploma or Certificate: 5 points

Applicants can score up to 25 points in this category if they possess the right education.

3. Work Experience

Applicants can also use their work experience to earn points. Those who have worked full-time jobs (defined as 30 hours per week) in Canada or abroad can earn points if the job:

  • Belonged to the NOC skill level 0, A, or B
  • Was performed while studying.
  • Was performed while also self-employed.

The points granted for work experience are as follows:

Experience Points
1 year 9
2 to 3 years 11
4 to 5 years 13
6 or more years 15

4. Age

The Federal Skilled Worker class generally favours applicants who are younger in age. The number of points granted to each age is as follows.

Age Points
Under 18 0
18 – 35 12
36 11
37 10
38 9
39 8
40 7
41 6
42 5
43 4
44 3
45 2
46 1
47 or older 0

5. Job Offer

Applicants can receive a maximum of 10 points if they have a full-time job offer for a one-year or longer position in duration. This work experience will need to be a full-time and non-seasonal position. It must also qualify under NOC skill level 0, A, or B.

In addition to this, applicants must demonstrate that they are qualified and capable of performing the job’s duties.

6. Adaptability

IRCC grants extra points to applicants who can demonstrate their eagerness to settle in Canada. You can get 5 points for each of the following requirements to earn a maximum of 10 additional points.

  • Having a spouse or partner with language skills of CLB level 4 or higher
  • Completing a minimum of two secondary or post-secondary academic programs inside Canada. Each program must be full-time.
  • Having a spouse or partner who has completed a minimum of two secondary or post-secondary academic programs inside Canada. Each program must be full-time
  • Having a minimum of 1-year work experience in a full-time position at NOC skill level 0, A, or B within Canada.
  • Having a spouse or partner who has a minimum of 1-year work experience in a full-time position at NOC skill level 0, A, or B within Canada.
  • Having arranged employment within Canada at the time of applying.
  • Having relatives who are citizens or permanent residents and are older than 18 residing inside Canada.

Optimizing Your Federal Skilled Worker Class Application

Prospective immigrants applying through the Federal Skilled Worker Program can optimize their application and discover ways to maximize their points with Elaar Immigration Consulting’s assistance. Together, we can make your dream of settling in Canada a reality. Please get in touch with Elaar Immigration Consulting to get started today.


FSWP or FSTP – Which Canadian Immigration program is the best fit for you?

By Blog, Express Entry No Comments

The Federal Skilled Worker (FSWP) and the Federal Skilled Trades Programs (FSTP) are the two well-known immigration programs for Canada. Both the programs are a part of the Express Entry system along with the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

The two Canadian immigration programs, i.e. Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), may be confusing for most applicants who do not understand the similarities and differences between the two. This blog would help you understand both the programs closely and determine which one is the best fit for you.

Individuals will, in general, combine these two programs. There is a difference in the eligibility criteria of the federal skilled worker (FSW) and that of the federal skilled trades (FST) program. The immigration procedure for preparing the two programs’ application is electronic and depends on a point-based system. As these programs are part of Express Entry, applicants who rank higher in the comprehensive ranking system (CRS) are issued an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Canada PR.

For obtaining the Canada PR, one must qualify for the federal skilled worker points system. The federal skilled eligibility criteria include the applicant’s education, work experience, and language requirements.

Now some of you may ask what Express Entry Pool is? The applicants who are willing to move to Canada make an online profile. If they qualify for one of Canada’s immigration programs, they enter the Express Entry Pool.

In the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), an individual must have –

  • At least 12 months’ work experience in the last ten years.
  • Only paid work is considered, and voluntary or unpaid work is not considered.
  • The job has to belong to one of the NOC skill levels 0, A or B.

If you did an all-day work, it must be equivalent to 30 hours of the week for a year, equal to 1,560 hours consistently. If it was a part-time job, it should be 15 hours out of each week for two years, equivalent to 1,560 hours. If one qualifies these requirements, he/she would be able for the federal skilled worker points system.

Whereas, in Federal Skills Trade Program (FSTP), the necessities are referenced underneath –

  • You should plan to live anyplace in Canada except for Quebec.
  • You should meet the necessary level of language requirement either in English or French.
  • You should have two years of full time or equivalent measure of part-time experience in the five years before applying under Express Entry.
  • You should meet the job requirements as it is mentioned in NOC.
  • You should have a full-time employment offer for at least one year.

As a candidate, you must show that you precisely performed the responsibilities at your job, as mentioned in the National Occupation Classification (NOC) list. If you neglect to show the obligations and experience for the employment you did as it is mentioned in the NOC, your immigration application won’t be acknowledged.

Similarities – Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

  • Can apply under Express Entry System (If you meet all eligibility criteria).
  • Having an employment offer is not a must but will definitely increase your score and chances to rank high in the draw pool.
  • No age barrier (If you are aged more than 47, you do not earn CRS points).
  • Submit proof of funds (Can score extra for adaptability/how can you manage to settle in Canada).
  • Can apply to work and reside in the province (Expect Quebec as Quebec has its skilled worker program).

Differences – Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Criteria FSWP FSTP
Language Skills  For the first language minimum level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) and Niveaux de Competence Linguistique Canadien (NCLC) is 7, whereas, for the second language, it should be Level 5. For first or second language, the minimum level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) should be Level 4 for Reading and Writing and level 5 for Speaking and Listening.
Education Certificate, Degree or Diploma from Canadian secondary or post-secondary institution; or Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from a designated organization of your secondary or post-secondary institution (outside of Canada). No education requirements, but having one can improve your CRS score and rank in the Express Entry system pool (therefore, one needs to have an ECA).
Work Experience  Minimum of 1-year full-time, uninterrupted work experience in the last ten years under-skilled occupation skill level A or B or skill type 0; or Canadian job offer following the Labour Impact Assessment criteria Minimum of 2 years of full-time, uninterrupted work experience in the last ten years under one of the following groups:
• Major Group 72 – Electrical, construction, industrial trades
• Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades
• Major Group 82 – supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
• Major Group 92 – processing, manufacturing and utility supervisors and central control operators
• Minor Group 632 – chefs and cooks
• Minor Group 633 – butchers and bakers

If you need additional information about the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Federal Skilled Trades Program or are willing to apply for it, you can connect with Elaar Immigration for all your Canada immigration necessities. Our group of committed and licensed Canada immigration consultants will guide you in the right direction as per your unique situation.

Close Menu