TRVs are issued by a visa office in Canada to prove you meet the requirements for admission to the country as a visitor, student or worker as a temporary resident. The TRV must be obtained and included with your passport before your arrival in Canada. A TRV may also be necessary when a temporary resident is moving from one province or region in Canada to another.

TRV eligibility – you must:

  • Prove that you will leave the country after your visit.
  • Prove that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself and any accompanying family members while in Canada.
  • Be in good health and be willing to conduct a medical exam if required.
  • Not have any criminal record; be willing to get a police verification done.
  • Not engage in any kind of work or study in Canada, unless authorized to do so.
  • Be able to provide all supporting documents at the request of the visa officer.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you are travelling from a country that does not require a TRV you may need an eTA to visit or travel through a Canadian airport. This applies to visa-exempt foreign nationals. Like the TRV, this documentation must be arranged before arriving in Canada, but is not necessary for citizens of the United Sates or those with valid Canadian visas. Those coming to Canada by land or sea do not need an eTA.

ETAs are valid for about five years and can take minutes up to about three days to be issued through the online application system, so arranging the document should be done before booking a flight.